Monday, January 23, 2012

Dessert Dumped......


Ever since Bib started solids (almost 6 1/2 years ago!) I have followed her meal with a dessert.  This could come in the form of a little yoghurt, stewed fruit, sometimes something sweeter like rice custard or as she got older sometimes ice cream.

And then I had Stooge and because he was getting his dessert, she would get some too (trying to keep things even/fair) and then of course Rouge came along and the cycle has continued.

It's something that's been on my mind a lot lately though. When do you stop dessert? When does that dessert switch from being something of a nutritional need to being something that will set up bad habits later in life???

So after asking many friends what goes on at meal times in their house, I think it has become clear that dessert is now to be a 'sometimes food' and not a 'given' in this household!! So after much discussion Pip and I have decided that dessert on a Saturday and Sunday night is now going to be our families norm and during the week we are dessert free..................
Then we flipped a coin as to who was going to break it to the kids!!!!! (damn that queens head!)

They actually took it quite well!
Although they thought I was joking at first they did come back with some good ideas as to why it isn't such a good idea to eat dessert every night.
So whilst the first night of going cold turkey did seem to go fairly smoothly, I have a feeling they will hit me up again every night this week, just to check my stamina, and I will know doubt be repeating myself for longer than a week, but I am so happy to have this matter off my mind and I know it will benifit them far better in their growing years ahead.

Whats the dessert norm in your house?? Is it something you've even thought about?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...