Monday, July 8, 2013

It's official....I sound like my mum!



When I was younger and still living at home, I'd answer the phone and get "Is that you Lu?" No!
Even my dad would often confuse us. A typical call would go, Me: hello. Dad: hi darling, I'm just on my way home. Have you got anything planned for dinner. Me: ah, no! It's me dad! 

Hence I changed my answering method to 'Hello, Claudia speaking' just to make it clear from the get go! Although I could never hear the similarities myself.

But somewhere in the last 8 years I have realised that I actually DO sound like my mum. The way I speak and even the things I say! 

Someone's going to get hurt in a minute.
No means no.
Because I said so.
I'll count to three.
Do I look like a slave?
Couches are for sitting on, not bouncing.
Hats off in the house.
I don't care who started it.............

And these are all just the ones that came out of mouth this week! 

It's actually been a really great reminder to me, that what we hear as children become the things we repeat as adults. Its critical now that we should watch WHAT we say, and HOW we say it. Now is the time we can be boosting confidence, instilling empathy, becoming the voice that will become their inner voice later.

Do you sound like your mum? Is there something you wish you were told that you weren't? What things do you repeat that remind you of your childhood?

1 comment:

  1. I must this made me giggle. I think various combinations of these have come out of my mouth too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...